Avoid Poisoning Your Children Or Pets

Dumb cane will make you speechless. If you get any of its sap inside your mouth, it can cause your tongue to swell, possibly blocking the way for breathing.
If you do ingest some of the sap, you might experience: intense burning, mouth pain, irritation of the surrounding mouth or lips, tongue swelling, excessive drooling in pets, gasping and difficulty breathing or swallowing.

Oleander Every part of an oleander plant is toxic to humans and pets. It’s so toxic, in fact, that even honey made from it can pose dangers.
Symptoms if ingested include skin rash, nausea/vomiting, diarrhea, irregular heartbeat, low blood pressure, fainting or general weakness, headache, dizziness, or drowsiness. If you or a loved one happens to consume this poisonous plant, you will need emergency medical attention.

Calla lily You might be surprised to know that plants with the name lily attached usually have some level of toxicity. Calla lilies make no exception, although this pretty Easter plant isn’t a true lily.
These flowers have dangerous calcium oxalates that make nearly every part toxic to humans and animals. Oxalates may also cause mouth burning, swelling, irritation, and difficulty swallowing.

Easter lily Easter lilies are highly toxic, especially to cats. Cat owners, you simply do not want these around the house. Just one or two leaves can prove fatal to your feline friends. Specifically, the toxins in the plant can cause severe kidney damage and kidney failure in cats.
Symptoms for cats include decreased appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, lack of urination, lethargy or depression.
In humans, worrisome symptoms include stomach pains, vomiting, diarrhea, blurred vision or weakness. In either case, you should get medical help for the victim immediately.

Daffodils Many people have mistakenly used daffodil bulbs in place of onions, and the bulbs have the most concentrated amount of lycorine, a toxic chemical.
According to the National Poison Center, the chemical doesn’t usually cause fatality unless it’s consumed in large amounts. Symptoms include the usual nausea, vomiting, stomach pain and diarrhea. More concerning symptoms might include low blood pressure and drowsiness in animals or throat pain and difficulty swallowing in humans.

Philodendrons This plant group is widely used as a houseplant. Philodendrons do contain the nasty calcium oxalate, causing burning, mouth irritation, tongue swelling, vomiting and diarrhea. Philodendrons will cause the most irritation in large quantities so curious toddlers and pets are the most at risk.

English ivy English ivy can cause stomach upset in small children and pets who don’t know better than to taste it. Symptoms include skin rash, burning, mouth or throat irritation and fever.

Merry Christmas and to all a good night.

Not from the U.S.A. Leave a comment telling me about your hometown and country.

Why is common sense so uncommon?
Don’t be Shy. Leave me your comment(s)

Advertisements

13 responses to “Avoid Poisoning Your Children Or Pets

  1. I once got a call from a woman at a nursery I was working at. She wanted to freeze rhododendron flowers into ice cubes for a punch. I said it was fine if she wanted to poison her guests. She hung up on me… Ah well, stupid people don’t like to hear the truth…

    Like

  2. Here, in the mountains, we view the toxic properties of plants in two ways 1) keep them away from livestock, 2) put these in decorative gardens outside the fence to keep the deer and groundhogs from eating everything. Of course, we also grow lots of edible landscapes for the wild life too — lots of berries, fruit trees, and nuts along the forest edge. -Oscar

    Liked by 1 person

    • Around here deer are seldom a problem. The neighbors cows are another thing. Last week about daylight I looked out and had about 75 head of my neighbors cows grazing in my front yard.
      Merry Christmas

      Liked by 1 person

  3. Its amazing how common these plants are used in homes.

    Liked by 1 person

    • For me the most amazing part of this is how many people have these plants in home and don’t know children and pets can be placed in real danger consuming these toxic plants.

      Merry Christmas

      Liked by 1 person

  4. A friend gave us some Calla lily last autumn. I didnt knoq its poison. Lucky I put them on a pot, I better shift them. Thanks for reminding.

    Liked by 1 person

  5. I’m going to just grow plain old grass from now on. 😉

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s